A new study out of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in the United States has revealed that the prevalence of osteoarthritis (OA) in the knees of humans has doubled since the mid-20th century. This has become a lifestyle disease caused by what we do, and more importantly don’t do, and is not more prevalent because we are living longer.
In the study, Dr. Ian Wallace, studied over 2,000 skeletons from three different time periods. he looked at 176 prehistoric skeletons, and many more from both the early industrial era and the post-industrial era, including specimens from the early 2000’s. What was quite surprising was that the specimens taken closer to our current time were more likely to have knee arthritis than either group of the older skeletons.
Lifestyle and epigenetic factors seem to give the greatest risk of OA. Our lack of movement plus our sedentary lifestyle, with episodes of ‘binge’ style exercise, leads to less physically active individuals. This loads their joints with less developed thinner cartilage plus weaker muscles which are responsible for protecting joints by stabilising them and limiting joint reaction forces. Add to this the ‘inflammatory’ western diet high in sugars and refined carbohydrates. Chronic low-grade inflammation can further magnify and accelerate loading-induced damage to joint tissue.
Look to how you are living your life. Not only have studies revealed that OA is on the increase, but have also noted the correlation with other lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. All preventable chronic lifestyle diseases.
Remember that there are 5 Pillars to Your Health:
- Exercise and Movement – this is to be done continually and constantly. Functional weight bearing is the best as your body will perform as a three-dimensional model as compared to only one (e.g. traditional weights, running, indoor machines). Movement should be at a constant. Your body thrives on movement, so that means move at your desk. Your spine made of the same material as you knees, so the same principles can be applied with knee OA as spinal OA.
- Diet – a balanced whole food diet. If it roamed from the earth or grew from the earth it is great to eat in its natural state (i.e. unprocessed). Oh, yes you can cook things. I don’t expect you to eat raw meat!
- Rest, Relaxation, and Sleep – your body requires rest to rejuvenate and recharge. Quality and quantity sleep is essential, as is down time. Without these your body will go into a state of stress and inflammation will increase.
- Positive Mental Attitude – What you think about and Thank about you bring about
- A Fully Functioning Nervous System – This is the key. Or should I say the glue that holds it all together. Without a clear brain – body connection it does not matter how well or how much you exercise; nor how clean your diet is; or how much sleep you get, your body will not perform at its premium level. A bit like filling up a Formula 1 car with unleaded 91. It might work, but will not run as desired.
Looking to enhance your health, wellbeing, and vitality life whilst at the same time avoiding a host of the common health pitfalls of our current society? Contact us on 9415 4606 or me directly on email@example.com to recapture your health. After all, The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.